Modern Combat 5 is a first person shooter that simulates a soldier in hunting mode to destroy terrorists. The game is fast paced and provides a realistic simulation using the built in a gyroscope in a smartphone or tablet. The game is free to download and available on both android and iOS devices. The game would probably be not viewed favorably in a school environment, but it does provide learning opportunities for both teachers and students. Additional thoughts about the game: Using Modern Combat for education audio file.
- Learn tactics for entering rooms, going up stairs, methods for taking cover and shooting, techniques for improving shooting accuracy.
- Watch a video that shows the training to be a marine recon: Surviving the Cut.
- Compare and contrast different weapons and gear, their advantages and disadvantages
- Analyze a case study about a particular battle scene.
- Analyze a particular conflict zone and choose a weapon that’s best suited and explain rational.
- Analyze and discuss gun culture in America in particular AR-15.
- Plan and strategize in multiplayer mode.
- Learn technical vocabulary.
- Play game and reflect using media of choice; experience, learning that occurred, likes, dislikes, accomplishments, easy/difficult tasks, etc.
4/4 Soldier level 41. Changing weapons on the move more fluid with better understanding of when it is appropriate. Able access full map view of map; Know locations to take cover and wait for enemies.
4/1 Joined a squad but inconvenient because you have to wait for teammates to be online. Easier to join an ongoing battle in a multiplayer mode.
3/25 Got a win in free-for-all multiplayer mode (yes- it’s a proud moment); accidentally performed a slide while running. Using the gyroscope has given a more realistic experience.
3/9 Chapter 3 part 3 spec ops; soldier level 14; using scope more proficiently; know better tactics in multiplayer mode; learned melee attack.
3/6 Played for about two weeks and currently at chapter 3. More authentic is multiplayer mode.